Agency NewsThe Oneesh Tam Key Award
Each year Tikinagan presents an award at our Annual Chiefs Assembly for leadership in Indigenous child welfare. The Oneesh Tam Key award honours people or organizations who have made outstanding contributions to Tikinagan's progress. Translated, Oneesh Tam Key means "someone who sits at the front of a canoe guiding the direction". This year Kenora-Rainy River Districts Child and Family Services (KRRDCFS) was selected to receive the award in recognition of its agency's longstanding collaboration with Tikinagan, and KRRDCFS recognition that First Nation families in the district are best served by First Nations agencies.
Tikinagan looks forward to the opportunity to honour the leadership KRRDCFS has shown - not just KRRDCFS recognition of First Nation jurisdiction over their children with words, but with action by providing authority to Tikinagan to provide child welfare services to members of our First Nations in the district. KRRDCFS has acknowledged that Indigenous CASs serving specific First Nations would have the closer connections with the extended family, the community, the First Nation leadership and the specific First Nation culture so that the best interests of the children can be served as well as best supporting the well-being of the family as a whole.
As of Friday, September 30th, 2016, there is a change in Child Welfare After Hours services provided in Dryden, Kenora and Ignace. Anishinaabe Abinoojii Family Services (AAFS) will be providing After Hours services to all Treaty 3 band members. Kenora-Rainy River Districts Child and Family Services (KRRDCFS) will be providing After Hours services to all other families, including those who would receive services from Tikinagan Child and Family Services.
Hear My Story
We have an urgent need for foster parents in all of our communities, to provide a nurturing, secure and comforting environment for infants, toddlers, preschool age children, adolescents and children with high medical needs.
Foster parents provide a safe, secure, structured environment; are good role models and team players; have a positive attitude with an optimistic outlook; have patience, a good sense of humour, empathy, and an ability to advocate effectively. Become a foster parent today!
- Children and families reaching their full potential.
- We are dedicated to ensuring the safety and well-being of every child by providing effective services to children and families.
- Positive Attitude
- We will focus on strengths, accept differences and see challenges as opportunities.
- We value positive connections and open communications to provide opportunities for meaningful change.
- We value mutual trust and respect through transparency, honesty and accountability.
- We nurture and embrace the uniqueness of all individuals and cultures in our workplace and communities.
- We are committed to the continuous pursuit of skills, knowledge and quality service.