What is RYS?
The Renewed Youth Support program (RYS) was recently developed in Ontario to provide youth who were previously involved with the agency with guidance and support to better prepare for adulthood.

Through the RYS program, Kenora-Rainy River Districts Child & Family Services (KRRDCFS) is able to offer financial assistance and supports such as:

  • Providing the youth with a residential placement.
  • Arranging for the youth to live independently. 
  • Start-up costs for rent, food, clothing; equipment for employment, school registration and basic transportation.
  • Reimbursement for prescription medication, basic dental and optical care not covered by federal and provincial programs.
  • Establishing a network of community services.

Youth who participate in the RYS program are not in the care of the agency.  This program is meant to provide services and supports comparable to those provided to youth in care.

Decisions made will be based on the youth's best interest and if he or she is in agreement.

Written Agreement
In order to receive these services you must enter into a written agreement with KRRDCFS.  These agreements do not have to be renewed and remain in effect until you turn 18.  The agreement sets out:

  • The roles and responsibilities for each party.
  • The services and supports the agency has agreed to provide to you.
  • That you and your worker will meet every three months.

The agreement can be terminated if you no longer wish to participate or where there has been no contact between you and your worker for more than three months. 

Individualized Plan
For every youth that is eligible for and consents to participating In the RYS program, agency staff will develop an individualized plan.  This plan is different than the written agreement, and identifies:

  • Your needs and goals.
  • The supports needed to meet those needs and goals.

If you are experiencing challenges meeting these goals, talk to your worker.  The plan can be updated as needed.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have been the subject of a court order (i.e. Crown wardship, society wardship or temporary care and custody order) or a customary care agreement to qualify.
  • You must be 16 or 17 years old.
  • The Extended Care and Maintenance program is available for youth aged 18 to 21.

If you would like to know more about this program, or know someone who could benefit from it, all you have to do is call or drop in to one of our offices and ask to speak to a Youth Support Worker.