(Quote File #23/18)
Hours of Work
33.75 hours per week (Full Time)
The Legal Counsel is responsible for representing the Agency as legal counsel in all legal matters related to the Child, Youth and Family Services Act (CYFSA), including, but not limited to; the preparation and presentation of cases in Superior Court of Justice and all other Hearings, Tribunals, and Boards, through to completion of appeals and provides legal consultation with Agency staff on matters relevant to protection case work. The incumbent acts as chief liaison between the agency and the courts to promote efficient conduct of child protection litigation and is responsible for the Legal Services unit.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Sound knowledge of the legislation dealing with children and families, and in particular the Child and Family Services Act.
- Sound knowledge of the processes and procedures involved in litigation
- Strong skill set in mediation with other parties regarding what is in the best interests of the child and the Society.
- Sound skill in assessing the evidentiary merits of a child protection case as described by Agency staff and other witnesses.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the current legal decisions and techniques relevant to litigation.
- Sound knowledge of legal research is necessary.
- Proven organizational and administrative skills.
- Sound clinical, managerial, and leadership skills.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and a great team player.
- Thorough knowledge of the Child and Family Services Act.
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours.
Kenora, Ontario preferred (Other district office locations negotiable)
- LL.B. from recognized School of Law
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years’ experience practicing in family law, child representation, child protection, young offenders, or relevant/similar experience
- Management experience an asset
- Must possess a valid Class G Ontario Driver's Licence and have access to a reliable vehicle with OPCF6A Insurance endorsement and minimum of $1000 000.00 Liability.
- Clear criminal reference check, Clear Vulnerable Sector check, Clear Internal Records Check and a Clear Driver’s Abstract.
- Must be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada and licensed to practice law in Ontario
Salary: $73,366 to $93,636
Kenora-Rainy River Districts Child and Family Services is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process.
Please submit your letter of interest and resume by May 25, 2018 to:
Human Resources Department
Kenora-Rainy River Districts Child and Family Services
820 Lakeview Drive
Kenora, Ontario P9N 3P7
Fax No. (807) 467-5539
We would like to thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our Agency is committed to promoting the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity of persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process..